Spaghetti towers 5/31

On Tuesday in science we worked on an interesting form of a balancing act. The idea was that when split up into groups of two or three, we could design a tower or building that was made out of fifty spaghetti noodles and a meter of tape. Each structure was supposed to hold at least one science textbook five centimeters off the ground. My group had the idea to use triangles, but my friend Zach’s group used the idea of making a giant lincoln-log style tower and it held nine textbooks.

We thought triangles would be the most logical choice because that is what most bridges and towers are made out of. The one problem with our design  was that it was very spindly and had the tendency to cave inward when the textbook was set on top. We tried our best to make supports, but the textbook still managed to break a couple of our triangles. I think what I learned from that experience is to make the designs as sturdy as possible before trying to make shapes like triangles. I hope I remember my observations for next time.

Thank you for reading!